Making Your Home Smarter

Four Signs There Are Problems With Your Electrical Wiring

Electrical wiring problems can be a major hassle for any homeowner. Not only are the conditions potentially hazardous, but they can also cause issues when it comes time to sell your home. For example, if you call the electrician to take care of a problem and they find that there are multiple issues with your electrical wiring, you could be in for a costly repair bill. To help prevent this from happening, here are four signs that there may be an issue with your home's electrical wiring.

1. Outlets Are Warm to the Touch

A common electrical hazard is overheating. If the wiring in your home is old, faulty or damaged, it could lead to overheating. In some cases, you may notice that the outlets in your home are warm or even hot to the touch. This means that electricity is getting into the outlet, but it is not finding its way out through an appliance or device, so heat is generated instead. If you notice this issue, call an electrician immediately because it can lead to fires if left unchecked.

2. Lights Flicker When You Use Appliances

If you notice that lights flicker when you use appliances, it could mean there are problems with your electrical wiring.

Flickering lights can be a sign of something as simple as a loose light bulb or lampshade or something more serious like frayed wiring or an overloaded circuit. It's usually a good idea to call an electrician if your lights flicker. In the meantime, there are several things you can do to determine the cause of the problem and solve it temporarily.

3. Fuses Blow or Your Circuit Breakers Trip Repeatedly

The risk of electric shock or an electrical fire in your home is always present when there are issues with your wiring. If you have blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers frequently, this could indicate that you have overloaded circuits or faulty wiring in your home. You should think about having an electrician come out and inspect your wiring to see if there is anything wrong with it.

4. You Notice a Burning Smell in Your Home

Another sign that there could be problems with your electrical wiring is if you notice a burning smell in your home. You may only notice the odour when you open doors and windows or turn on the air conditioning, but this is still a problem. Most of the time, a burning smell means there is something wrong with an electrical device or appliance, but it can also indicate faulty wiring. The best thing to do is unplug all of your appliances and devices and see if the scent goes away. If it does not, call an electrician to inspect the furnace and other electrical equipment.

Electrical wiring plays an important role in your home. It keeps the power flowing throughout your home, providing electricity to all of the key appliances and services that you need. For more information about electrical installation, talk with a technician today.